Categories: Energy Conscious New Homes, Home Maintenance, New construction homes south jersey, New Homes in Burlington County, New homes in Gloucester County, New Homes In South Jersey, New Homes NJ, Uncategorized | Posted: March 8, 2019 | Comments Off on “Spring Ahead” with a Home Maintenance Checklist
It’s time to “Spring Ahead” this weekend in honor of Daylight Savings Time! Warmer weather is quickly approaching, and thoughts of summer vacations & end of school are near.
For homeowners, Daylight Savings Time is a great opportunity to perform simple yet important home maintenance tasks. These will not only keep your home running efficiently, but preventative maintenance will also save you money in the long run.
As you go through the house setting all those clocks ahead, make time for this short safety checklist as well. Get your home ready for the upcoming spring & summer months!
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS – HOME MAINTENANCE CHECKLIST
• SMOKE / CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS: Test your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and replace batteries if needed. The National Fire Protection Association suggests replacing your smoke and CO alarm batteries twice a year.
• DRYER VENTS: Clean out your dryer vents to reduce the risk of dryer fires and help keep your dryer working at maximum efficiency.
• FIRE EXTINGUISHER: Inspect your fire extinguisher to ensure it is fully charged or replace as needed.
• CEILING FAN: Reverse your ceiling fan’s direction (to blow upwards in the summer). While standing directly under the ceiling fan you should feel a cool breeze. Remember to adjust your thermostat when using your ceiling fan to take advantage of energy savings.
• FILTERS: Check & replace heating and cooling filters. This will ensure that they are performing at their best throughout the warmer months.
• EMERGENCY ESCAPE PLAN: Review your Family Emergency Escape Plan in case of a fire or other situation where you must leave the home. It’s important to discuss in advance, and determine the best routes & meet up plan.
Maintenance is an important step for any home owner. Cost savings, improved safety, increased efficiency & better reliability — Daylight savings time is a perfect reminder!